How to change date language?

Hi Plotly Community!
I am working with dates and I see all dates are in English format (e.g. Jan 2018), but I would like to configure my layout to use dates in Spanish. I have searched here and in the documentation and I didn’t see something clear about it.

Is there any option to change the language?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

@ivanhercaz,

I don’t know the spanish datetime format, but from this example you can deduce how to define xaxis_tickformat for your dates:

import pandas as pd
import numpy as np
import plotly.graph_objs as go
from datetime import datetime
d = {'date': [datetime(2020, 1, k) for k in range(2,7)],
      'A': np.random.rand(5)}
df=pd.DataFrame(d)
df

date	A
0	2020-01-02	0.139288
1	2020-01-03	0.753301
2	2020-01-04	0.950311
3	2020-01-05	0.569568
4	2020-01-06	0.886100
fig=go.Figure(go.Scatter(x=df['date'], y=df['A']),)
fig.update_xaxes(tickformat='%d-%b-%Y')
fig.update_layout(width=600, height=300)

tickformat

or:

fig.update_xaxes(tickformat='%d-%b-%y')

or

fig.update_xaxes(tickformat='%Y.%d.%b')

Hence tickformat( country datetime specific string) does the job.

1 Like

@ivanhercaz you can also change the names of days and or months to be displayed in Spanish by using the locale module

import locale
locale.getlocale()
('en_US', 'UTF-8')

locale.setlocale(locale.LC_TIME, 'es_ES') # this sets the date time formats to es_ES, there are many other options for currency, numbers etc. 
'es_ES'

import datetime
today = datetime.datetime.now()
today

datetime.datetime(2020, 2, 14, 10, 33, 56, 487228)

today.strftime('%A %d de %B, %Y')

'viernes 14 de febrero, 2020'

Building on @empet’s example, you just have to format the dates in your DataFrame:

d = {'date': [datetime(2020, 1, k).strftime('%A %d de %B, %Y') for k in range(2,7)],
1 Like

Thank you very much! Both answer are really helpful.

@eliasdabbas, your snippet is very useful! I forget to try to change the language using the locale module. However, it doesn’t works for me. I am working on Jupyter Notebook inside Google Colaboratory and it seems it doesn’t support the es_ES locale. I get this error Error: unsupported locale setting. I will keep in mind your workaround for next issues I will have with language in which is shown the dates.

@empet, thank you for show me tickformat attribute. I finally use it with the format %Y-%m-%d to update, in this case, my yaxis:

fig.update_yaxes(tickformat="%Y-%m-%d")

It isn’t the best format to show, maybe I would prefer something like “12 ene 2019” (Jan 12, 2019), but I can improve it in a near future with a better format. At least this one is clear and easy to understand all around the world.

Again, thank you both for your help! Now I can continue with my Plotly learning path :heart:

@ivanhercaz

Thanks @eliasdabbas for suggesting to set locale to es_ES. It works straightforward when we give simple datetime lists (as in your and my example), but when a Plotly user reads datetimes from a pandas dataframe, usually these are recorded as strings, like this: “2020-02-14”. In this case even if we are setting locale, it doesn’t change the format of ticklabels. One more operation must be performed. Two examples are illustrated in this notebook:
https://plot.ly/~empet/15517

1 Like

Wow! Thank you very much for the notebook you did to illustrate the change of the date language. It is very useful for me because I am using pandas too to read CSV file with data, in which the dates are in the format “year-month-day” (e.g. 2020-02-14).

I am going to bookmark your notebook for future reference!

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I mentioned in my last line, that dates need to be formatted :slight_smile:

d = {'date': [datetime(2020, 1, k).strftime('%A %d de %B, %Y') for k in range(2,7)],

Thanks for the notebook!

1 Like

@eliasdabbas

I referred to datetime read from a pandas dataframe as a string of any type, i.e. the usual mode of recording dates in financial data.
That string must be converted to datetime, again (even if that column was defined as a datetime before saving the df to csv), in order to get locale working.

1 Like