Slow data update in plotly js with live data

Hello guys,

I using plotly to stream some data acquired from sensors. The application basically works as follows:

I have 4 channels from which I’m getting data. The application gets 4 traces from the server roughly every second. Each trace, contains more or less 80 samples with their respective timestamp.
On the client side I put the data in a buffer asI get it. Since the data is streamed as an array of raw bytes, each time I gets a trace I have to organize the data in a more useful way.
When I have collected all the 4 traces, I update the graph, but in order to do so, I have to take the data and organize it according to its x and y ranges and perform some calculations on the data to gets the size of the window on the buffer (This part is necessary because the user can place a time margin on the x axis values, so for instance he can select a window of as big as 3seconds).

Once I finish with the calculations, and I have my data ready and I update the graph using this style: Plotly.newPlot(‘sine-graph’, data, layout, {modeBarButtonsToRemove: buttons_load, displaylogo: false});
Everything seem to work quite fine for slow data gathering, but when I speed up the acquisition, the refreshing gets very slow or the browser gets stuck. The CPU however, never gets very high, it stays around 20/30%.Nevertheless, the browser does not support the load. Is this a good style to use the library or should I consider another way to update the graph?

Thank you.

Using Plotly.update should help a little. Plotly.newPlot is indeed the slowest thing you can use. If you’re just streaming data, Plotly.extendTraces might work even better, but it won’t come as a miracle solution yet. We’re planning on improving performance in our update routines in the next few months.

Hello etienne,
thanks for your reply. The update function is improving the situation a bit indeed. However, it seems that for what I have tested so far, the bottleneck is in the time taken for the visualization or update call… I made this attempt based on this scenario: When I use a 2 seconds window, I have roughly 2000 points per trace to put in the graph with 4 traces at most. This amount is too much and chrome gets stuck. Trimming down the values, therefore forcing each trace to have not more than 100 points helps a lot, and the application does not crash. This could be a solution but it potentially causes a loss in the information. I was wondering if there is a sort of callback function or value, which gets set after the graph has been updated so that I would know when the function has finished.
Thanks

See the event documentation at

and scroll down to “Afterplot Event”, where you’ll find this information:

The event handler: plotly_afterplot, can be used to trigger an event each time a chart is plotted. This also includes re-plotting after the restyling or relayout of a plot. Users also have the option of adding a post-plot handler to the plot call with the following syntax: Plotly.plot(graphDiv, data, layout, config).then(postPlotHandler);

I do the following, where in other parts of my project, if lock is true, I store up data to be plotted later, once the lock is set to false by completion of the plot:

this.__lock = true
var self = this
Plotly.extendTraces(this.__id, { x:xs, y:ys }, indices).then(function() {
self.__lock = false
})

Thanks Bruce, you pointed me towards the right direction. :slight_smile: